WELCOME TO MHS

mhs
Marshall High School
 1900 Maverick Drive
Marshall, TX 75670
903-927-8800
903-927-7052 (fax)
Welcome to Marshall High School, the home of the Mavericks! It is the belief and mission of every educator and adult in the Maverick Family that we will foster an encouraging learning atmosphere structured with safety, respect, and academic excellence that empowers and supports our students as they exceed their potential and become positive, productive members of our community and society.
Parent Letter - Makeup Work
• Campus Improvement Plan
Student Handbook
Student Code of Conduct
District Academic Calendar
Online Lunch Payments
District Newsletters
Family Access Portal

 

ANNOUNCEMENTS

SCHEDULE PICKUP: Schedule pick-up for Marshall High School students will be held August 23-24 at MHS. Please note key information below:

August 23 - FRESHMEN will pick up their schedules from 8:30 a.m. - 11 a.m. JUNIORS will pick up schedules from 1 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.

August 24 -- SOPHOMORES will pick up schedules from 8:30 - 11 a.m. SENIORS pick up schedules from 1 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.

*You MUST have completed the MHS online registration to pick up your schedule UNLESS you are a new student to the district. No schedules will be handed out without registration being completed.

*Pick up will be held in the commons area at MHS.

*Students may get their parking stickers at this time. You will need your driver's license, insurance card, car license tag number and parents signature on the information card.

*You may also sign up for a locker at this time.

MAV TECH ANNOUNCEMENT: You will receive a letter from MHS/TSTC this week. You will start classes on August 28. Please contact your counselor if you do not get a letter or have any questions.
Summer Reading Lists
  • Pre AP English I
  • Pre AP English II
  • AP English III & IV


we are mhs

tina brownMrs. Tina Brown will be in her fourth year as Principal at Marshall High School in 2017-2018. Mrs. Brown has completed 33 years in public education and is in her sixth year overall in Marshall ISD as a Principal. She served previously as Principal at South Marshall STEM Academy for two years (2012-2014) before becoming MHS Principal in the summer of 2014. While at South Marshall, Mrs. Brown was instrumental in preparing the school to serve as the district's STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) campus. Prior to Marshall, Mrs. Brown was a principal in Fort Bend ISD for 12 years. Mrs. Brown is a graduate of Texas A&M University.

MAVERICK FAMILY

sam hallSAM B. HALL JR.

Sam Blakeley Hall Jr. was a lawyer, politician and judge. He was a member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Texas' 1st Congressional District from 1976-1985 and a federal judge of the U.S. District Court of the Eastern District of Texas from 1985 until his death in 1994. Born and raised in Marshall and a graduate of Marshall High School, he attended the College of Marshall where he met his future wife, Mary Madeleine Segal. After graduating from the College of Marshall with an Associate of Arts degree in 1942, he attended the University of Texas before enlisting in the United States Army Air Corps to serve during World War II. On returning to Marshall after World War II, he married Mary Madeleine Segal and graduated with a bachelor's degree from Baylor University in 1946 and an LL.B. from Baylor Law School in 1948. After being admitted to the bar he returned to Marshall to practice law, where he was in private practice from 1948-1976. Hall was unsuccessful in his attempt to receive the Democratic Party nomination for Congress in the 1st District in 1962. He served as chairman of Marshall's board of education from 1972-1976. In 1976, Hall won a special election for the U.S. House after the death of incumbent Wright Patman. He was re-elected five times and served on the Judiciary and Veterans' Affairs committees. On April 17, 1985, Hall was nominated by President Ronald Reagan to a seat on the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas vacated by Joe J. Fisher. Hall was quickly confirmed by the Senate on May 3, 1985, and subsequently resigned his seat in Congress to be sworn in as judge, receiving his commission on May 10, 1985. Hall served on the bench until his death in Marshall on April 10, 1994. He was buried at New Grover Cemetery in Marshall. The Sam B. Hall Federal Courthouse in Marshall was later renamed in his honor.

mhs: building a legacy

mhs

old mhs
Front entrance of the old Marshall High School on West Houston Street, which served high school students from 1924-1980 and has served as Marshall Junior High School (grades 7-8) from 1981-2017.
MARSHALL HIGH SCHOOL

On July 24, 1895, Marshall University trustees presented a 30-year lease to the Marshall Public Free Schools with a right to renew. Three years later, on September 12, 1898, Marshall High School began operating in a building leased from Marshall University. The first MHS had only two teachers, 30 students and five subjects -- Latin, English, History, Math and Science. Only grades 8,9 and 10 were taught at first. By 1900-01, the high school went through the 11th grade. From 1901-02 through 1910, 12 grades were required for graduation. The 12-grade system was reintroduced in 1936. The first graduating class had one student, Miss Verbena Barnes, and in 1900 there were three graduates.

In February 1910, the city school board began deliberations with Marshall University trustees for a building site, located at 600 West Houston Street. On March 29, 1910, the trustees conveyed their property to the Marshall School Board as a site for a high school building. It was agreed that the new school would be called Peter Whetstone School -- but it never was.

In September 1911, 200 high school students moved in. By 1914, it became necessary to add four classrooms and enlarge the study hall. By 1923 another building change became necessary, so the old Marshall University building was torn down and replaced with a new building facing West Houston. From 1924 until 1940, the high school remained in this building. In 1939, the building erected in 1911 was removed to make way for an addition to the campus. This new building, which faced College Street, served as the high school. The junior high remained in the old portion until the seventh and eighth grades moved out in 1964, providing more room for a growing high school.

A successful bond issue under Superintendent Truitt Ingram in 1976 led to construction of a new high school for Marshall. In September 1980, students in grades 10-12 stepped into a "comprehensive" $6.7 million, 212,000-square foot facility on Maverick Drive. The school had an initial capacity of 1,600 students and basic facilities for 2,000. Its features included a 2,000-seat gym with three courts, 600-seat auditorium, multi-tiered dining area for 500 and separation of academic classes from shop, band and choir areas. Outside the building were a 7,000-seat stadium with all-weather track, a 12,000-square foot field house, six tennis courts and a baseball field. A facilities study in 1986 led to the opening of a ninth-grade wing. A supplemental field house for baseball, cross country, soccer and tennis opened at the north end of Maverick Drive in December 1988. In 1993 came a 2,000-seat addition to the stadium, a new track and an addition to the band hall. In fall 2002, a new program, the Air Force Junior ROTC, moved into a portable structure building north of the main building. All-weather turf was installed in Maverick Stadium in the summer of 2003, and was replaced in 2015. In the spring of 2004, construction began on an addition to the field house, about a third of which was financed through private donations.

pembertonPEMBERTON HIGH SCHOOL

Prior to 1894, schools for African-Americans in Marshall had little or no organization. Classes were held in churches, lodge halls, and sometimes dwellings. There were few qualified teachers and children could not be transferred from one school to the other without changing their books. In 1894, Superintendent Chesley Adams offered H.B. Pemberton, a Wiley College professor and son of former slaves, the principalship of one of the city schools for blacks. Pemberton took out a loan under his own name and purchased a tract of land which was then deeded to the city for the construction of a new school for blacks, Central School, serving grades 1-7. As the school's enrollment grew, Pemberton saw the need for a high school for black students, and the school board approved expansion of the Central School to include a total of eleven grade levels in 1916.

In 1925, a site on Rosborough Springs Road was purchased for a new school to house high school students only. The old Central School became known as Hillside School, and the new school opened as Central High School. The school quickly developed a reputation of excellence, and around 1940 was awarded the highest rating accorded to African American high schools. It was listed as one of the top six or eight schools in the state.

Pemberton had remained as principal of the school since its inception. Due to his tireless and diligent dedication to seeing education expand for all of Marshall's children during his career, the school board unanimously approved changing the name of the high school to H.B. Pemberton High School in 1941 after receiving a petition with over 5,000 signatures. Mr. Pemberton died on April 27, 1944, but left behind an iconic legacy for Marshall's public schools.

The high school bearing his name, with the mascot "Panthers," continued as one of two high schools in Marshall until Marshall schools were integrated in 1971. At that time, Pemberton began serving Marshall's ninth grade students until 1988, when a new wing to house freshmen was opened at Marshall High School. At that time, Pemberton High School ceased operation as a public school, and was sold to Wiley College. The building still stands today and houses the Pemberton Heritage Center.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2017 West Corporation. All rights reserved.